Tuesday, April 17, 2012

An Ode To Summer


As I sit behind the loud blare of my computer screen at way too early 0'clock in the morning, I wonder how I allowed myself to be overtaken by the evil monster grip that is society. Yah so they told us to enjoy being a kid while it lasts, but what they failed to mention is the part where you get a job and voluntarily commit the rest of your sad life to sitting inside and living for the only two days of the week left to do anything remotely selfish. But thats a rant saved for another day, today is the first official posting and that my friends, is reserved for a more positive itinerary. Today is an Ode to Summer.
What once was a 3-month long holiday is now just another collection of days, but I remember when it used to be everything. There was something about the summer that vibrated through school in the form of more than just tank tops and miniskirts. You had attitude in the summer, there was a smell, a distinct feeling of thank freaking God I'm about to get the f- out of here and theres nothing anyone can do about it. There's not much else that compares to the feeling of an approaching high school summer so losing that is something I've decided I am not going to allow, despite the fact that its been almost ten years since I've had one. I can't even believe that I can say the phrase "ten years ago" and still be referring to something I remember but thats where we are people, thats where we are.
It seems a little backwards that as life gets harder, we get less society-mandated breaks than when we were children, but I guess theres no such thing as grown-up nap time. Well, as a newer member of the adult club, I'd like to make a permanent amendment and suggest that the month of May be entirely reserved for debauchery and relaxation. A chance for the man in all of us to kick off our boots, smoke the well-deserved cigarette of life and chill out like teenagers.

If you need me, I'll be lobbying outside the local Starbucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment